Breaking News
Loading...
Tuesday 22 November 2011

Info Post
This post has nothing to do with food. So i apologize for that.  I will post some of my newest creations tomorrow.


I write this post with a heavy heart. Two days after I put up my last post and we celebrated five years of having Kiwi he was suddenly taken away from us.  Like I mentioned before we have always let Kiwi have his flying wings and ever since we have been in MA he had a normal flight path from the dining room where his cage was to the kitchen, where he would normally fly right to either David's or my shoulder.  


On Saturday we had only left the dining room for a mere second. We heard Kiwi scream and we ran over.  Kiwi had landed on my parent's parrot's (Baby) cage. Baby had mortally bit Kiwi. We rushed him to the animal emergency hospital but they confirmed what we already knew deep down inside: there was nothing they could do.  We were devastated.


The sudden shock of this violent death of our beloved bird has been very difficult for us.  Kiwi was unlike your normal bird.  He was trained.  He could do tricks, and even was poop potty trained (if thats what you call it for birds). He was always on our shoulder whenever we were home.  We always left the cage open so he could fly to us.  He loved for me to hold him close to my chest and scratch his head.  When I scratched his head he would close his eyes and just rest with me. He would cry for us whenever we left the room.  He liked to snuggle against my neck or inside my bathrobe when he was cold... Like I said. Not your normal bird.  


We loved him very much, and he very much became a part of our family.  Even if you don't like birds you can understand if you imagine your pet suddenly died in a violent way.  Green Cheek Conures can live up to 25 years of age.  We were expecting Kiwi to meet all of our potential kids and be a part of our family for a long time.  Kiwi has been such a constant part of our lives.  In the past five years we have moved to four different states, had different jobs, Eliana was born, I started grad school... Throughout all those years we always had him.  I have never had to do a paper for school without him on my shoulder and his death has really shown me how much he really meant to us.


It was such a freak accident and it is such a complicated situation since Baby is also a part of my family.  My parents got Baby before I was even born. So this situation is very delicate, complex and layered.  It has been a very difficult weekend for us and I know it will take time for us to feel better. I know I will have to get used to the silence.  It has been very quiet since Kiwi is now gone.  He was always chirping in our ears since he loved to snuggle on our necks, next to our ears.  He also loved to "talk" exactly when we were talking... I miss that.. :'(


Hope is the thing with feathers 
That perches in the soul, 
And sings the tune without words, 
And never stops at all. 

Emily Dickinson


RIP Kiwi 06/01/2006- 11/19/2011

0 comments:

Post a Comment