Breaking News
Loading...
Tuesday 16 June 2009

Info Post

"Keep your 'lectric eye on me babe
Put your ray gun to my head
Press your space fave close to mine, love
Freak out in a moonage daydream, oh yeah!"

David Bowie - Moonage Daydream


For some reason ray guns have become a romantic symbol to me. I can't place where or why this happened. It baffles me. Maybe I watched too many Sci-Fi movies as a kid. Maybe it's because of Bucky O' Hare. Maybe it's something to do with Barbarella. I really can't put my finger on it. Of course you could say it's because they're phallic but it's nothing sexual. I think of them in a similar way as flowers or heart shaped boxes of chocolates. Plus the ones I tend to like are curvy and feminine looking. I'm going to assume it has something to do with liking the idealistic picture that was painted of the time in America when futuristic things like ray guns and flying cars were said to be the way we were headed. Part of me would be very happy being a 1950s house wife but I love the technology of today way too much. I guess the combination of the two is a perfect mix for me.


I've fantasized about finding a bubble gun that looks like a ray gun similar to these. I want it to have that perfect future/ retro look. I think I may have to figure out how to make one myself.

Bucky O'Hare, one of my favorite cartoon heroes when I was a kid.


Jane Fonda as Barbarella, one of my all time favorite movies.

0 comments:

Post a Comment