Breaking News
Loading...
Thursday 4 March 2010

Info Post
Courtney Love is finally releasing her album Nobody's Daughter next month. Instead of releasing at as a solo album, like she did for America's Sweetheart, she is releasing it under the band name Hole.

"Love, during in an interview on Later... with Jools Holland, claimed the name was inspired by a quote from Euripides' "Medea" which read "there's a hole that pierces my soul." During the same interview, Love added that when telling her mother about her childhood, her mother responded with "well, you can't have a hole running through you all the time, Courtney."


One woman alone is not Hole, no matter how big a part of it she was. Hole was more than that. Hole was raw. Hole was real. It's dead and buried and has been for years. There's no use in trying to resurrect it. Members may have come and gone but it was always a band. As long as Courtney and Eric were working together on music Hole existed. They don't even speak anymore, much less collaborate on music. Now should be the time for new things. I think using the name "The Chelsea" would have been more appropriate for this new stage in Courtney's career and life. The original band never had the lift to take flight so the name was never really utilized. I assume using the name Hole was probably more of a financial decision than anything so everything I'm saying isn't very relevant but I'm speaking from a more artistic perspective I suppose. That is what should matter, but things don't always work out that way. "The Chelsea" brings such strong imagery with it if you know about the hotel's history and about how many wonderfully creative people lived there. It carries a kind of mysticism and strong feminine artistic feeling that I feel fits Courtney wonderfully. She can be successful without using a name that worked in the past. She can do it on her own. For some reason she wont, but I know deep down she could.

I've waited so long for this album and now I'm hesitant. Hope for this album, as cheesy as it sounds, helped me keep holding on for a long time. It hurts me that I'm just not excited anymore. I wish I could just be happy. Courtney and Hole have been a huge part of my life since I was 14. I know all the songs by heart. I've screamed along with them, danced to them, cried to them... I have a massive collection of bootlegs and B-sides. Hole was pretty much all I listened to during one of the roughest years of my life. Their music got me through it and made me feel like I wasn't alone. I love Courtney, she's taught me a lot and introduced me to so many things that have helped shape me as a person. She taught me to be strong. That being said, as much as I love her and am grateful for finding her at a time in my life when I needed her, I'm not sure if I can take anymore heartbreak, and yes there's been a lot of it.

This is not Hole: HOLE IS A BAND


And it's a band that I will always hold near and dear to my heart.

Here are some videos from one of my all time favorite Hole performances.
Raw, vulnerable, real:







0 comments:

Post a Comment