Breaking News
Loading...
Friday 20 January 2012

Info Post
We had more snow. So you know what that means? Snow related treats :) Awhile back when browsing on Pinterest I found a recipe here at Once Upon A Plate to make peppermint bark snowflakes.  I had been planning on making this last year but never got around to it until now. And let me tell you.. I am glad I tried it! They look amazing and taste amazing :)
Chocolate Snowflakes :)
To make this you will need:
approx 8 oz dark chocolate (our favorite is Hershey's Special Dark)
approx 8 oz white chocolate (we used Lindt white chocolate)
2 tsp vegetable oil, divided
1/2 tsp peppermint extract, divided
crushed peppermint candy canes


I bought two bars of chocolate for each the dark and white chocolate.  Both bars were slightly more than 4 oz each so I used a little more than 8 oz of each to make the snowflake bark.


I melted the dark chocolate with 1 tsp of vegetable oil in the microwave.  Once chocolate is fully melted add in 1/4 tsp of peppermint oil.  Pour into desired pan or snowflake silicone mold. (If pouring the chocolate into separate molds it is a good idea to measure out the amount so that the chocolate in each snowflake is evenly distributed.) I added crushed candy canes in the middle layer then allowed the chocolate to harden in the fridge for an hour.


I then did the exact same thing with the white chocolate and returned the mold to the fridge for another hour.


**Tips when pouring chocolate into the mold**
Make sure to tap the mold to make the layer as even as possible (in my case I tapped the mold and tapped the cookie sheet i placed the mold on) 
You can use toothpicks to spread the chocolate into the corners and pop the bubbles.


I also made a mini snowflake for Eliana:

I took the picture next to the other snowflakes so you could see the size difference. To make the smaller snowflake bark for Eliana I used a mini snowflake cookie cutter. I placed the cookie cutter on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper (make sure there is nothing on or under the parchment paper or else your chocolate will not be flat on the bottom.) I then followed the same directions for the larger snowflakes.  When it was completely done I left out the snowflake for a few minutes to allow the chocolate to warm up a little bit.  Then I gently pushed the snowflake out of the cookie cutter.  There was some breakage since I didn't do it as gently as I should have, but Eliana' couldn't tell and you can't see in the picture so it works out just fine!!

This may have been a little time consuming but it was so easy and it tasted so amazing that it was all worth it!  I actually don't like white chocolate but with the addition of peppermint extract and the candy canes, alongside the amazing opposite side of dark chocolate I ended up loving this. I will definitely be making these again!

Until Next Time... :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment