Breaking News
Loading...
Thursday 28 June 2012

Info Post
I've received a ton of emails asking how we hung our pallet in the new dining room. As of now I have been replying back to each email but it's getting a little crazy :) Good crazy! I love that so many of you are emailing me with questions! Keep them coming! But I thought it was time we just put a full post out here on the topic. I'm bringing in Bill AKA The Hubs, AKA Mr Doozie, AKA Mr. DIY. Hmmmm I really need to settle on a blogland name for him. Anyhoot, we will do this interview style :)
Hey babe,  first thank you for doing this interview. I feel like a talk show host. Ooo next time maybe we will do a Vlog! Then I could truly document all your eye rolls! But really, how did you hang my pallet?

I wandered Home Depot till I found a solution for my problem.

How come it was a problem?

That sucker is heavy.

You couldn't just put like 5 big nails in a row?

(snickers)

Fine, what did you find?

I thought about trying to use anchors or a stud and hang it like you would a cabinet. But I know you tend to want me to make small adjustments once it's up on the wall. So in the picture hanging aisle of Home Depot I went to the OOK section, which I knew had a lot of ingenious hanging solutions. And there I found something called a French Cleat.

Does it bother you that it's French? (wink wink)

(eye roll) I guess the French are good for some things, hanging artwork would be one.

Okay back on task before someone leaves a nasty comment on here.

I always try to double the holding capacity when hanging an item. So a 100lb cleat should be double the weight of a pallet. Plus these packs come with all the hardware, a level and no power tools are needed. Also using a cleat allows you to shift the item left to right by an inch or so if needed - something I usually have to do for you.  

So, would you say this is the BEST way to hang a pallet?

Yeah.

Allright, I can see you used up all your words, I'll show them the pictures now. Thank you. "Golf claps" for Bill ;)
Alright, so above you can see the aisle where you'll find the cleats. They are called OOK French Cleats. You'll need to get the one that is for 100lbs. They do make a 200lb one if you like to be super safe ;)
There are instructions on the back of the packaging and even a smart phone scan code to watch a how-to video. But really all you do is put one side of the cleat on the wall, level it, and screw it in.  Start with the center screw and don't tighten it until it's level (The package comes with a small level that will slide into the cleat for this).
Attach the other side of the cleat to the pallet. And Bam! You've got yourself a super safe, hangable pallet! How easy is that!?!
Some of y'all asked about the stain as well. He sanded down the entire pallet and then stained it allover with the pine stain. Once it was a dry he came back along the edges with the walnut and lightly rubbed in towards the center (A little goes a long way here). After 3 or 4 hours he finished it off with the clear coat. It feels very Pottery Barnish to me :)
Thanks for reading all the shenanigans! And don't forget to checkout the giveaway!

0 comments:

Post a Comment