Breaking News
Loading...
Tuesday 6 March 2012

Info Post
Eliana and I decided to make jello the other day. While jello is nothing new, it still is fun and super easy to put together. Thinking of St. Patrick's Day we went with lime green jello. I had found a recipe for green ice cream jello and decided to make it even more fun by cutting the jello with a shamrock cookie cutter. Here is how it all turned out:
Vanilla Bean Ice Cream Shamrock Jello 
Ingredients:
*2 packages of green jello
*1 package knox unflavored gelatin
*4 cups boiling water
*approx 1 qt (or less) vanilla bean ice cream

Directions:
*Mix everything together (both packages of jello, gelatin, and boiling water) until dissolved
*Add vanilla bean ice cream. Stir until dissolved.
*pour into a 9x13 glass dish and let it set overnight in the fridge.
*cut jello with a shamrock (or any shape) cookie cutter, or just cut however you please :)

  **recipe adapted from yummly**

The ice cream will float to the top of the jello creating a layered look:
So the original recipe said to go with non fat vanilla ice cream. Well as you can see I used vanilla bean ice cream. I wasn't going to buy a tub of regular vanilla ice cream! We are vanilla bean ice cream addicts in this household. If you don't want the vanilla beans floating around in your jello then just use vanilla :)
The original recipe also said to measure 1 qt (less one cup) of your ice cream. Well about that.. I have a secret.... (shhhh don't tell)......I didn't actually measure the ice cream. I just scooped the ice cream into the jello mixture until Eliana and I thought it was enough.  I'm lucky it came out pretty even but honestly I didn't know how it was going to turn out! Either way it would have tasted great so I don't think measuring exacts on ice cream is necessary. Of course feel free to measure away. 

I'm actually usually all about measuring in exact measurements (i love to bake, and for baking you need to be precise) but for some reason in this instance I didn't care to be exact. For a moment my precise exact perfectionist self disappeared and I just enjoyed the moment of mixing and making jello with my daughter :) I think that made it taste even better :)


0 comments:

Post a Comment