Breaking News
Loading...
Wednesday 11 April 2012

Info Post
Eliana requested an angry birds lunch the other week.  She doesn't usually request specific things or demand them the same day, but this time she was insistent on an angry birds lunch and "wouldn't eat just a regular sandwich" ((Help! I've created a monster!)) But thankfully I don't mind this monster, nor do I mind this monster's requests ;) I figured why not? So I made her this lunch:
Angry Birds!!
This lunch was a royal pain so much fun! However when I saw the completed lunch I was very happy. Normally I think about what I am going to make before I make it.  So I usually have a clear idea of how the lunch will turn out.  I actually had never given that much credit to that part.  But now I realize: that is why the lunches I make really don't take that long! I know what fruits, veggies, cheeses etc I will be using and where, so when I actually make it everything comes together much faster.  For this lunch I made it on the spot, so it took longer than normal. However if I made it again it would be a lot quicker since I know what I would use and where.  

Having an idea of what you are making before you make it is one way to make creative lunches faster :)
Why is he always so angry?!! ;)
The Red Angry Bird is made of red bell pepper cut with cheese details and a carrot beak.  I used black edible food marker to color the cheese for the black details.
The structure/tower that is about to be knocked down by that angry bird is made of pretzel rods. 
Two small piggy angry birds gummy snacks are hiding out in the top of the tower. (They sadly don't realize they will be knocked down first.) 
The two piggies hiding out at the bottom of the tower are ham and cheese on spinach tortilla mini sandwiches. I used a large straw to make the smallest circles for the eyes and the ears.  I used a black edible food marker to make the eyes on the cheese and the nostrils on the noses.
The grass is thinly cut celery.
Close up of the piggy mini sandwiches
I usually try to emphasize how easy it is to make a creative lunch. Let me be clear: this was not easy! I made it simpler by using cookie cutters, but because everything was so tiny and small it made it more difficult. You need to have steady hands and be delicate. 

But if you are up for a challenge it is worth it! The look on Eliana's face when I was finished was priceless. She usually helps me make the lunches but this time I wanted to surprise her so while she played with her legos I made this up for her.  I wish I got a picture of her reaction! She LOVED this. And after she finished it she proceeded to tell me how she wants more angry bird lunches and she wants all the rest of the birds included.... so stay tuned... ;)

Here's what I used to make this lunch: 


0 comments:

Post a Comment